Wednesday, September 03, 2008

5 years of DTrace

It's been five years since DTrace has been integrated into Solaris.
It's one of the most important technologies in Operating Systems.

Read Bryan's blog entry on last few hours before integration.

I remember one of my first big dtrace wins - a multi-threaded application, developed in-house by our developers had some scalability problems on multi-cpu servers. They spent about a week looking for an issue without any progress. It was early just after dtrace was made public and I decided to give it a try. At first no real progress... while I was driving home the issue was still in a back of my mind. Suddenly I was 100% sure how to solve the issue with dtrace. First time in a morning I sat down with developers and we have fixed the problem in 5 minutes. We were working on a production code in a production environment. The era of DTrace has began...

No comments: